
On Sunday, April 26th, I woke up and started to get ready for my baby shower at my mom's house. Matt was up north visiting his cousin, so I was by myself. We didn't think this was going to be a problem because I wasn't due for another 3 1/2 weeks.
Right before I was going to get into the shower, I felt something funny begin to happen. I wondered if my water had broke but didn't know for sure. I got in the shower and about half way through, I realized my water had broke and I needed to get to the hospital!
I finished my shower, then promptly called Matt. I told him that my water broke and asked him to meet me at the hospital. Of course he was a little shocked and a little surprised, but he knew I wasn't joking because I promised him that I would never joke about going into labor. My next call was to my neighbor, co-worker, and friend Jodi.
I calmly told her that my water broke and asked her if she could drive me to the hospital. If you remember Jodi was the one who drove me to the hospital when I broke my wrist! My parents think she should start charging an ambulance fee! I think I'm lucky I've got such a great neighbor!
On the way to the hospital I called mom and told her I didn't think I would be making it to my shower. It took a few moments to convince her that I was serious. I told her to go ahead and have the shower without me. It would be too much to reschedule and all the food was ready.
When I got to the hospital I found out that my water did indeed break, and I was dilated to a three but wasn't having any contractions yet. Matt arrived and relieved Jodi of her duties. After an hour or two of no contractions, they suggested I start taking some Pitocin to speed along labor. I was hesitant at first, waited an hour or two, then asked to start the Pitocin after nothing was happening.
Shortly after I started the Pitocin, I began feeling contractions and asked for the epidural. Luckily I got the epidural before I became too uncomfortable. After that my labor began progressing and pretty soon I was dilated to a six. Twenty minutes later, I was at a ten and ready to push. When the nurse checked me she told me the baby was very close and I probably wouldn't have to push long.
Unfortunately my photographer (my wonderful sister) was not yet there. Fortunately she was very close and since the baby was doing well, we waited until she arrived to start pushing. When I started pushing, it didn't go very well because the epidural was working so well, so we decided to turn off the epidural for a while to help me with the pushing.
We waited for about a 1/2 and hour and then started again when the epidural started to wear off. After another hour of pushing, the doctor suggested we do a c-section because the baby seemed to be kind of stuck. She said it was up to me at the moment because the baby was doing fine and not in any distress. I told her I wanted to try a few more rounds of pushing before we did a c-section.
The doctor left the room for a bit and the nurse told me she thought I could do it naturally, so with her and Matt's help and coaching I continued to push. Matt and my nurse were amazing coaches and after a few more rounds of pushing the baby was crowning and the doctors were called in. Shortly after the doctors came in, our little miracle, Madison Rose Huber was born. She was 5 pounds 4 ounces and was 18 inches long. When they put her on my chest I felt such an overwhelming sense of relief, joy, and love. I will never forget that feeling.
She was not crying so they called the NICU team in to check her out. They weren't too concerned because her color was good and there weren't any other signs of concern, but they obviously wanted to be safe. After an evaluation, the NICU team decided they wanted to take Madison for some further monitoring. So unfortunately she had to leave us shortly after she was born. Lucky for Grandma and Grandpa Danielski and the rest of the Huber family, she was wheeled right past the waiting room where Matt was able to give his family a peek of Madison.
They were able to bring her back to us for a little bit a few hours later, after we got settled into our room and this is when Grandma and Grandpa Bertram got there first look at Ms. Madison. She wasn't able to stay long because they wanted to take her back for some more monitoring. By the next morning, the doctors were no longer concerned about Madison and was able to stay with us for the rest of the hospital visit.
During our stay in the hospital we were blessed with many visitors who wanted to meet our little miracle. We stayed two nights and despite being concerned Madison wasn't going to be able to come home with us on because of feeding issues, they decided to send her home with us on Tuesday, April 28th.
The entire experience of bringing Madison into our lives was breathtaking, and amazing. We are elated and madly in love with our new daughter.
Right before I was going to get into the shower, I felt something funny begin to happen. I wondered if my water had broke but didn't know for sure. I got in the shower and about half way through, I realized my water had broke and I needed to get to the hospital!
I finished my shower, then promptly called Matt. I told him that my water broke and asked him to meet me at the hospital. Of course he was a little shocked and a little surprised, but he knew I wasn't joking because I promised him that I would never joke about going into labor. My next call was to my neighbor, co-worker, and friend Jodi.
I calmly told her that my water broke and asked her if she could drive me to the hospital. If you remember Jodi was the one who drove me to the hospital when I broke my wrist! My parents think she should start charging an ambulance fee! I think I'm lucky I've got such a great neighbor!
On the way to the hospital I called mom and told her I didn't think I would be making it to my shower. It took a few moments to convince her that I was serious. I told her to go ahead and have the shower without me. It would be too much to reschedule and all the food was ready.
When I got to the hospital I found out that my water did indeed break, and I was dilated to a three but wasn't having any contractions yet. Matt arrived and relieved Jodi of her duties. After an hour or two of no contractions, they suggested I start taking some Pitocin to speed along labor. I was hesitant at first, waited an hour or two, then asked to start the Pitocin after nothing was happening.
Shortly after I started the Pitocin, I began feeling contractions and asked for the epidural. Luckily I got the epidural before I became too uncomfortable. After that my labor began progressing and pretty soon I was dilated to a six. Twenty minutes later, I was at a ten and ready to push. When the nurse checked me she told me the baby was very close and I probably wouldn't have to push long.
Unfortunately my photographer (my wonderful sister) was not yet there. Fortunately she was very close and since the baby was doing well, we waited until she arrived to start pushing. When I started pushing, it didn't go very well because the epidural was working so well, so we decided to turn off the epidural for a while to help me with the pushing.
We waited for about a 1/2 and hour and then started again when the epidural started to wear off. After another hour of pushing, the doctor suggested we do a c-section because the baby seemed to be kind of stuck. She said it was up to me at the moment because the baby was doing fine and not in any distress. I told her I wanted to try a few more rounds of pushing before we did a c-section.
The doctor left the room for a bit and the nurse told me she thought I could do it naturally, so with her and Matt's help and coaching I continued to push. Matt and my nurse were amazing coaches and after a few more rounds of pushing the baby was crowning and the doctors were called in. Shortly after the doctors came in, our little miracle, Madison Rose Huber was born. She was 5 pounds 4 ounces and was 18 inches long. When they put her on my chest I felt such an overwhelming sense of relief, joy, and love. I will never forget that feeling.
She was not crying so they called the NICU team in to check her out. They weren't too concerned because her color was good and there weren't any other signs of concern, but they obviously wanted to be safe. After an evaluation, the NICU team decided they wanted to take Madison for some further monitoring. So unfortunately she had to leave us shortly after she was born. Lucky for Grandma and Grandpa Danielski and the rest of the Huber family, she was wheeled right past the waiting room where Matt was able to give his family a peek of Madison.
They were able to bring her back to us for a little bit a few hours later, after we got settled into our room and this is when Grandma and Grandpa Bertram got there first look at Ms. Madison. She wasn't able to stay long because they wanted to take her back for some more monitoring. By the next morning, the doctors were no longer concerned about Madison and was able to stay with us for the rest of the hospital visit.
During our stay in the hospital we were blessed with many visitors who wanted to meet our little miracle. We stayed two nights and despite being concerned Madison wasn't going to be able to come home with us on because of feeding issues, they decided to send her home with us on Tuesday, April 28th.
The entire experience of bringing Madison into our lives was breathtaking, and amazing. We are elated and madly in love with our new daughter.
No comments:
Post a Comment